Announcement

REXYGEN forum has been moved. This one is closed.
Head over to the new REXYGEN Community Forum at https://forum.rexygen.com.

Looking forward to meeting you there!

#1 2017-11-16 04:32:16

gizmo

Feature Request - Grid & Snapping

First off I love REX Controls. But as I see a feature request topic I cannot help myself to post something here that I may see useful to myself and others.

Function block programming is new to me. By nature I do ladder logic and structure code on a day to day basis. We also have the awesome capability to generate WebWatch HMI files from MDL files. (So awesome)

I find myself quite often throwing things together in a hurry to test code. Then after all the code is complete and tested, I get my OCD and want everything to look logical and neat. Or I tend to get the OCD at the start and then I make a mess when something does not work out and I have to start over with cleaning up. I know logically neat and tidy looking code makes no difference on performance, (I hope not) but this helps yourself and other to be able to cipher this quickly, and for a WebWatch of MDL file this could be a complete embarrassment for showing off your code. The time I have spent just making things tidy just to make myself somewhat happy is ridiculous, but only to myself.

Again this is not a complaint about REX Draw and please do not take it this way in any manner. I do think a future feature that would be great would be the capability to have a Grid and a snap feature. Alignment to edge, center, and such would be a bonus. Programmers could spend less time keeping blocks in a neat fashion with this feature.

Thanks,

#2 2017-11-21 11:38:11

jaroslav_sobota
Administrator

Re: Feature Request - Grid & Snapping

Dear gizmo,
thanks for your kind words, glad you like REX. I fully understand your urges to have a neat and tidy "code". It has no effect on performance, but it pays off. And you are right, it should be less expensive. E.g. tidying up our examples consumes a significant amount of time, so I would like to have this feature myself.

I highly appreciate your feature request, it will help us in prioritising our todo list. I cannot promise any date though.

How would the minimum version of the grid&snap feature work best for you? Snapping top left corner of a block to the grid? Please let me know.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Jaroslav

#3 2017-11-25 21:59:31

scoobsalamander

Re: Feature Request - Grid & Snapping

This would be indeed a nice feature. Maybe it would be good that all corners can be snapped to the grid while resizing the blocks and that connectors also automatically align to the grid

Last edited by scoobsalamander (2017-11-25 22:00:39)

Board footer